Sunday 21 March 2010

Mastheads



The masthead that is used for a magzine is incredibly important as it is normally the only part of the magazine that is visible when on sale in the shops, this is why almost all magazine mastheads are placed in the top quarter of their front cover. Below are a few mastheads of well known magazines, looking at these has helped me figure out how i will be representing my own magazine title.

The title of my magazine is 'Favour'.




'Q' magazine has a very simple and effective title that is placed in the top left hand corner of the cover. It is written in white and placed onto a red background to really make it stand out. i think that this masthead is very effective and ties in well with the colour scheme that runs throughout the whole magazine. A famous female is also placed right at the top ofthe magazine so that it can also be seen whilst on display in the shops, the use of an easily recognised celebrity gives a magazine instant status and this can really set it apart from the rest. A very dark colour scheme is used on this magazine as it is aimed at adults. I effectively be doing the opposite with my magazine and using a vibrant colour scheme as it is aimed at a younger audience.





The masthead on this magzine in partly covered, again by a celebrity. The way in which the mathead is covered shows that it is a well known magazine and people will recognise the styple of the magazine without actually having to read the full title. I like the way in which two lines of text have been placed above the masthead to show the audience what is inside the magazine and this is very effective way of boosting sales, I do however think tha the font used for this mathead is very plain and boring and would not atall suit my magazine.





Again, an extremely simply format has been used for the masthead but it still looks effective. So far I have found that with all the magazines I have analysed ad looked at, the masthead is always written in the colour that dominantes the colour scheme, this is something that i will really have to bear in mind when creating my masthead. The border around the letters definitely elps to make this unusually small masthead stand out. If i were to improve this title I would make it about 50% bigger to really attract the eyes of the target market.






I really am a fan of this quirky looking masthead and it is definitely something I would be interested in developing. This quirky style would work fabulously with my indie theme. If i were to use this styple i could easily hand draw it for a more personal and arty effect and then scan it into the computer, I would however use a more indie colour scheme (either neutral or vibrant depending on the other colour on the cover.) I will efinitely be using an usual masthead to set my magzine apart form the rest as their is alot of competition between magazines and the more unique I can make mine lokk the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment